This course is completely FREE. If you enjoy it and want to learn more you can access all of our courses by signing up for a membership here.
STINT is a Canadian record producer and songwriter based in Los Angeles. He's best known for producing and co-writing the majority of Gallant's debut album Ology, which was nominated for Best Urban Contemporary Album at the 2017 Grammy Awards. He's also co-written and produced music for artists such as AlunaGeorge, Carly Rae Jepsen, Train, Portugal. The Man, NAO, and Sabrina Claudio.
Noiselab teamed up with STINT to create In The Studio With STINT, the first in a new series of a producer courses, where successful producers break down their craft and teach students key techniques in music production.
In this course, STINT will walk students through the process of writing and producing Gallant's single "Weight In Gold", from the Grammy nominated album Ology. Students will get an inside look at how the track was composed from the drums and rhythmic elements through the synths, guitars, vocals, and effects.
Lesson 1 – Project Background
- STINT's background as an artist and producer
- How STINT connected with Gallant to begin co-writing and producing the critically-acclaimed album Ology
Lesson 2 – Drums
- How the drums came together using samples
- Creating drum layers to add variation
- Compression and other effects
Lesson 3 – Guitar
- Chopping and arranging guitar samples
- Effects for guitar
Lesson 4 – Keys
- Instrument choices for keys and chords
- Effects for keys
Lesson 5 – Bass
- Arranging bass samples
- Effects for bass
Lesson 6 – Chorus
- Producing a powerful chorus for the song
- Instrument and sound choices in contrast to verses
- Effects in the chorus
Lesson 7 – Second Verse and Second Chorus
- Creative enhancements to the second verse
- Additions to the second chorus for variation
Lesson 8 – Bridge Section
- Creative direction for the bridge
- Instrument choices and arrangement
Lesson 9 – Vocals
- Background information on co-writing lyrics and melodies
- Vocal arrangements and layers throughout the song
- Vocal effects processing
Lesson 10 – STINT's Top 5 Keyboard Shortcuts
STINT (Ajay Bhattacharyya), is a Canadian record producer and songwriter based in Los Angeles. He produced and co-wrote the majority of tracks from Gallant's debut album Ology, which was nominated for Best Urban Contemporary Album at the 2017 Grammy Awards. STINT has also co-written and/or produced music for artists such as Zara Larson, Banks, Santigold, Sabrina Claudio, AlunaGeorge, Portugal The Man, NAO, Carly Rae Jepsen, and Train.